New Zealand, D9930

Club Fellowship

Fellowship is an important component of our Club. Outside of Club meetings, and working parties, members thoroughly enjoy relaxing in each others company. There are numerous examples of such activities, some regular and many one-offs.


Carbeque, 1972

Golfing Hawaii, 1981

Yachting Hauraki, 1983

George Metcalf's Centenary

Chatham's Trip, 1998

Waipukarau Rotary Club Beach Walk 2000

Australian Cricketing Rotarians 2000


Home Hosting

The "Stress Seminar"

The Beaton Cup

Annual BBQ

The Annual Christmas Party

The Childrens' Christmas party


Bowls Tournaments

Fishing French Pass

Car Rally 2014


French Pass Fishing

Two fishing trips to French Pass have been organised for members at the instigation of Graham Duncan. It was through his friendship with Danny Boulton that he was able to organise  accommodation and fishing charters.


The first one was in 2003 when he organised a party of 10 members who thoroughly enjoyed themselves.

Elmslie Bay, French Pass

The second in 2009 was fully reported. The Bulletin 12th Feb 2009 reports

The following Club members went on a recent fishing safari to French Pass, 6th to 9th February 2009: Graham Duncan, Mark Oldershaw, Clive Adams, Ron Ebbett, Allan Tuck, Ant Williams, Grant McDonald, Pete Sugden, plus a couple of extras, Graeme Dickey (past member of TRC) & Lew Willoughby.

French Pass is a unique region in the top north west corner of the Marlborough Sounds. It is a fisherman’s paradise and the ultimate Nature Adventure.

The team departed from the Taradale Town Hall 7.30am and travelled in a minibus kindly provided by Simon Tremain. Through Parramatta, the spare wheel mounted on the draw bar of the trailer, worked loose and fell off on state highway 1 and bounced freely down the centre of the highway. Embarrassing but no collateral damage sustained.

Late that night they reached their accommodation with Danny & Lyn Boulton at 4 Star Beach Front Villas.

They spent two days fishing from Danny’s 32 foot beamy charter boat, fishing mainly in the French Pass itself in selected areas, and along the inner coast of D’Urville Island to the Nelson end. The team rotated fishing positions on the boat to ensure all had the opportunity to catch their quota of snapper and blue cod. This was certainly achieved with plenty of excitement on the way. A quick trip to a mussel farm recovered some mussels from the floats which were steamed open on board. Delightful finger food while they fished.

Pete Sugden was award with the fishing prize, catching the first snapper and Allan Tuck received the second prize for providing his ‘MacGyver’ skills to repair a tackle box. Both guys received a ‘branded Sea Safaris’ T/Shirt from Danny.

The BBQ on the Saturday night was a real treat with grilled ‘Cube Roll’ and salads provided by Lyn. Pete Sugden played his ukulele which encouraged the guys to sing and hum when the words failed them.

On Sunday, as well as fishing, Dunc played his bagpipes as Danny took his boat through the Pass and filmed it all as part of a promotional video he is making.

The return to Hawke’s Bay was without incident and they arrived at Taradale Town Hall tired but completely satisfied that they had enjoyed a great experience.

Footnote: Danny Boulton sadly died in 2014. He will be sadly missed by the club fishermen as he gave them many hours of pleasure in this fishing paradise.

The fishing group including Danny Boulton (second left), then Ron Ebbett, Clive Adams (standing), Mark Oldershaw (seated right of pole), Graham Duncan, Grant McDonald, Allan Tuck


Return to top...

Peter Sugden waits to fish the "Pass"

Graham Duncan catches a big groper

Home Hosting


The first home hosting evenings were held in 1988. The first was so popular a second one was held in early 1989. The concept links fundraising with good fellowship. Members who would normally not socialise, are brought together for good food, good wine and get to know each other on a more personal basis. It is a great way for new members to get involved.


Home hosting is a popular annual social event where members sign up for the event and one member will host another three members for an evening meal. Each visitor is asked by the host to provide one of the courses. This event is organised annually by the International Committee.


Home Hosting fund raising.

  • 1988 Home hosting introduced as a fund-raiser. First very successful. A second was held

  • 1992 Four Emergency boxes completed and dispatched funded by Home Hosting.

  • 1993. Club sponsors a home in the Rotahomes project in Fiji. Home hosting supplies half the funds required. Club makes up the rest to a total of $980 and sends money to District 9920.

  • 1994 Firewood sales and Home hosting  $1800 money for Community Service committee. $1000 went to the Taradale Library.

  • 2002 Home Hosting had again been a success with 74 guests being catered for. 

  • 2003 Home hosting raises $160; two rounds

  • 2005 Home hosting raises $600 in a matching grant scheme with Suva North Rotary Club to raise funds for a programme in Fiji to assist young people who have hearing and vision impairments. The Club added $400 to make the donation $1000.

  • 2007 Home hosting raised $1070.

Return to top...

The Annual "Stress Seminar"
  • How did it all start? A search of Bulletins at the time, suggested by Dave Nichol, reveal the following entries

Bulletin 2nd Nov. 1967:  Brian McKinlay suggested a visit to Taupo, to meet the Club there, to- engage in fishing and golf (and some other mystery recreations). To make a block booking at a Motel and have a very enjoyable break of fun and fellowship. Brian would like a decision by next meeting. Over to you, fellows, to follow this up.

Bulletin 9th Nov. 1967Brian McKinlay handed out forms to indicate members' interest. Trip early December- Taupo Club is keen- will entertain wives who go. 


Bulletin 16th Nov. 1967. The following entry appears. "TAUPO TRIP; Fishing and golf - 9th/10th December.' Sorry ladies, this year's trip will be "Stag." Main party leaves Taradale Friday night 8th Dec. Rearguard on Sat. morning. Not an official visit, but some Taupo members will join us where possible. So far, 20 confirmed names - room for more, should anyone be in doubt at the last minute. Those leaving Sat. contact Vie Watson re transport. Golfers keep in touch with lan Kepka for further details.- Some spare fishing tackle available. Any members requiring tackle contact Jack Lockyer. Fishing contest will be held for those who wish it - Entry fee approx. 50 cents. Accommodation details etc. in next week's Buzzer."


Bulletin 23rd Nov. 1967:  Brian McKinlay said 20 fellows had signed up for the Taupo trip on December 9-10.

  • One further entry merely states the golf was lost! Dave's memory is that the loss was indeed true, and the contact with Taupo was not continued, but the story is taken up by Ron Ward.

"Members at the time had fishing batch's in Taupo and regularly travelled the old Taupo Road ( a 3 hour trip in those days) for a weekends fishing. Two members, Ron Ward and Jack Lockyer decided in the late 1960's that they should get together and share boats and cars soon others joined them."


" The golfers joined them and Dave Nichol remembers staying with Ron in his batch. The chill persuaded Dave, that he would use motels in future, and organised the golfing fraternity into the Links Motel."

  • An entry in the Bulletin 18th Nov 1971 reads "After a number of false starts, the annual Taupo Golf tournament got underway, and the members proudly returned with the 'Fellowship trophy'". Just what this trophy was is yet to be determined.

Peter Sugden happily strides down the 18th.

  • The event appears to have been christened the "Stress Seminar" about this time. The late Kel Tremain was a regular team member as was Dave Nichol, and soon people like Mark Read, Peter Sugden, Bill Beaton and Ken Carson joined and have been regular attendees ever since.


Golfers prepare with an anti-rain dance before starting out. Mark Read with Peter Sugden in the background and Max Plested on the left. Turangi 1997.

Good food, good wine, good friends.

  • For many years, through the 80's and 90's, the formula was for the a member of the Club be designated to organise the trip, taking membrs who wished to travel and whether they wished to golf or fish. Kel Tremain was a regular golf organiser, and a programme was standardised around a round at Wairakei on Saturday morning, a nine hole "skiners" game at Little Wairakei, and a second round on either the Centennial or Tauhara course at the Taupo Golf Club on Sunday morning. On Saturday evening, all members of the party would join for an evening meal, where the fish got bigger and the drives longer as the evening wore on. Now and then the venue has been varied with Turangi being the centre of activity, but generally, Taupo is the popular centre.

Fisherman, well organised, but failing to find the big fish. Turangi 1997

  • Naturally many stories surround such trips. Some can be told, others best left untold. In the early days, foundation President Tom McDonald joined in the fun at the suggestion of Mark Reid, and approached Ron Ward to stay with him and fish on his boat. The first trip was a huge success, with Tom landing the first two trout, and was so pleased, he opened a very fine old tawny port, which inspired the boat to get a full bag of 24 for the day, which was shared that night with very grateful golfers. Another year, one of the party informed the group that only he knew how to cook fish heads, and placed a large number in a motel pot and left them brewing. Unfortunately the hospitality in a room attracted the cook's attention and the imbibing dulled his memory. His attention was drawn back to the fish-heads only by someone rushing in with the news that a motel unit appeared to be on fire, as smoke was poring from its windows! He never attended the event again, which was a pity.

Golfers discuss the days round,

Rotorua 2004

Return to top...

More recently, a newer member, John Reid, a keen and very good golfer, decided to expand the golfing side of the event by tacking a golf safari to one side of the weekend. In 2003, a team of half a dozen members travelled to Mt Maunganui after the Stress Weekend to play 5 courses around the area, and in 2004 a similar party tackled three courses around Rotorua, including Springfield, where John is a past-senior champion.

Lies and more lies after another round on the Rotorua trip, 2004. Pete Sugden, Eion Carty and non-Rotarian but popular Taradale doctor Ian Taylor.

The Club Golf Tournament (Beaton Cup)

As part of the celebrations of the Clubs 25 years in Rotary in 1984, Bill Beaton donated two Cups to be played for by golfers and their wives or partner. The following is the list of members who have won the Tournament over the years since its inception.


John Reid & Neil Kittow share the Bill Beaton Cup, 2006

1984 D W Nichol 
1985 L J Peddie 
1986 W Love 
1987 W Love 
1988 K R Tremain 
1989 M B Kepka 
1991 B T Holmes 
1992 M B Kepka 
1998 M Oldershaw 
1999 A Watton 
2000 D Kidd 
2001 E Carty 
2002 J R Reid 
2003 W B Beaton 
2004 J R Reid.
2005 T Royden 
2006 J R Reid & N Kittow 
2007 J R Reid, 
2008 J R Reid
2009 F Crotty. 
2010 D McGechan
2011 J Reid
1984 S J Beaton
1985 S Chesteman
1986 S Chesterman
1987 S Read
1988 None
1989 M Love
1991 S J Beaton
1992 J Kepka
1998 S Edgington
1999 S J Beaton
2000 M Wise
2001 J Crotty
2002 R Cooper
2003 R Cooper
2004 R Cooper
2005 R Cooper
2006 M Royden
2007 R Cooper
2008 J Crotty
2009 R Reid
2010 R Cooper
2011 J Crotty

Majorie Royden, ladies winner 2006, with Julia (Tig) Crotty

From this list, it can be seen that the tournament went into recess for a period from 1993 to 1997.  With the resumption a  Ladies Cup has been added.  The following report is taken from the Bulletin at that time, February 1998.

Thanks to Mark Read, the Bill Beaton Trophy was resurrected this year. About 20 golfers sweated their way through a very hot day at Waiohiki, before making their way to the famous "19th" hole at Mark and Sue's place. Graham Duncan turned up with juicy Richmond steaks and demonstrated his culinary skills to a grateful gathering. As a result of huge thirsts and great hospitality, Mark counted 19 wine bottles around his lawn next day. And the winners were-

Ladies Trophy: Sandy Edginton (1st), Sue Read (2nd), Raewvn Cooper (3rd)

Men's Trophy: Mark Oldershaw (1st), Mark Read (2nd), Frank Crotty (3rd)

It is now the responsibility of the winner to organise the next Tournament. This ensures that the Tournament will be a popular feature of the Club's social scene for many more years.


Return to top...

Annual BBQ

Every Rotary year starts with an informal BBQ, where members, wives and partners gather enjoy a relaxing BBQ, usually at the end of a brilliant Hawke's Bay mid-summer day. They have been help at a variety of venues such as John Campbell's orchard, Frank Crotty's vineyard, Ron Ebbett's farm, Bill Beaton's orchard or at Dolbel Reserve.

Mark Allardyce, Graham Duncan, Ron Ebbett (host) and Paul Shoebridge prepare to feed a hungry crowd

  • January 20th 2005 Club BBQ

The Club year, 2005, started with a great evening BBQ, courtesy of Ron and Wenda Ebbett. A superb Hawkes' Bay evening complimented the beautiful gardens that Wenda and Ron have cultivated around a spacious lawn quite large enough to host about 70 members’ wives and partners.


The scene at Ron Ebbett's, BBQ 2005

Return to top...

January 2010 Club BBQ

A fine but cool night. Members gather to welcome in the new Rotary Year at Dolbel Park.

1998- Chatham's Islands trip

Ron Ward, who has had a lifelong affiliation with Catalina's since he flew them in the Solomon Islands during WWII, organised a group of members to take a flight for a weekend in the Chatham Islands during January 1998. Unfortunately the Catalina had to be withdrawn, so Ron organised a Convair and the group enjoyed a highly successful time. The Bulletin, February 1998, records-

Pam Tremain lead the Chatham's panel of participants in personal reminiscences of their weekend m the Deep South. Pam herself waxed poetic quoting from a local bard who clearly liked the place, but as Pam told us, liking the Chatham's was contagious.


Derek Ricketts was supposed to tell us about Guide Russell, but was so caught up in his enthusiasm for the trip, that between nominating Ron for group leader of the year and noticing Chatham Island houses all looked like batches, he was able to tell us about the 10-seater vehicle in which they toured the island on unsealed and often non-existent roads passed a galaxy of local 4-wheel drives and Harley-Davidson motor bikes.

Cheryl & Peter Sugden, Guide Russell, Bill Beaton, Pam Tremain, the Pilot and Karen

Bill Beaton decided to pick up the tab on Russell the Guide, a remarkable character who knew everything about the island and seemed capable of organising anything. He could get you eels, whitebait, crayfish- all you had to do was ask. Russell only had one uniform, the one he gutted fish in.


Bob Knappstein remembered the fishing trip with great fondness. There were so many blue cod, the plane was overloaded with all the frozen fillets they brought back.


Keith Lines was brief on his topic- island services. There were none! The sewerage overflowed the pond- which was a problem- so septic tanks were in abundance; power was by generators and many houses had their own. As group driver, Keith was impressed with vehicle maintenance; drive it till it stops- then leave it on the side of the road. There were wrecks everywhere.


Ross Ross-Taylor naturally looked at the flora and didn't think any of the trees looked very healthy because of the generally bleak conditions, and birds were very few.


The search for fossilised sharks teeth. Jane Howard still looking, Pete Sugden found one, Keith Lines records Audrey Rickett's find them while in the background Pam Tremain keeps looking.

Des Stephens noted they have a TV service but few appear to use it as they all go to the pub. There are small satellite dishes that pick up Sky and they manage to get direct broadcasts of most things. They were able to catch a glimpse of the one-dayer from Auckland.


And finally Ron Ward summed up by saying it had been a very memorable weekend and glad they didn't fly there by Catalina. The hospitality was marvellous, and this was what really made the weekend- particular thanks the Sarah the South African. The friendliness of the people was so great, that Ron too was moved to quote poetry from the Bard of Chatham's.


Others in the party were Peter & Cheryl Sugden, Harold & Jane Howard.


Return to top...

1981- Golfing in Hawaii

Sheena Beaton reports-

"After a successful golfing trip to Taupo arranged by Kel (Tremain) , Kel suggested he would arrange a trip to HAWAII for those interested. Our flights, golf, transport and accommodation was arranged by Kel. He and Pam were unable to go with us. After several meetings the following were starters. KEN & COLLEEN CARSON, PETER & BEV SIMONS, IAN & JANET KEPKA, DAVID & JUDITH NICHOL,  BILL A SHEENA BEATON"

On arrival in HONOLULU we transferred to the island of MAUI where we settled into very comfortable accommodation at PAPAKEA CONDOMINIUMS. PAPAKEA Is about 5 miles fron LAHAINA AND KANAAPALI and a short distance In the other direction to KAPALUA.

Colleen Carson, Pete Simons (kneeling), Ken Carson (back), Sheena Beaton, Dave & Judith Nichol, Janet & Ian Kepka, Bev Simons, Bill Beaton

We played golf on magnificent courses at KANAAPALI and KAPALUA and enjoyed the clear sunshine and warmth- Bill tried several different types of golf clubs from the Pro shop as well as trying Ken's new set and the drivers of others!! Finishing up buying a set from the Pro shop. As they didn't have them in stock. Bill was to uplift them from MAUI AIRPORT on our transfer to the island of KAUAI. This was q circus as no one knew anything about his package. After his usual perseverance he decided to try the cargo shed and after some wait and jeering from so called friends he arrived back with his special cargo.

The island of KAUAI is very different to Maui. Called the wet (stand. We certainly experienced the rain with a deluge while starting our on our golf round. The greens were flooded in minutes so we returned to the club house and we were told to return after lunch and start again. By that time the water had disappeared. It is much more lush than Maul with a very rugged coastline. We visited the caves where the locals put on a show for the visitors. Great holiday, compatible friends but the Golf needed improving.

Return to top...

Beach Boys and Girls having Fun, Fun, Fun

1983- Yachting the Hauraki

Past President Pete Simons was a very keen yachtsman. In fact he owned a 28 ft keeler which he was keeping at a Marina in Auckland at the time. Feeling the need to have the sea-breeze in his face he invited two other Club members to join him for a Queen's Birthday cruise in the Hauraki. The lucky recipients were his friends from the Hawaii trip, Ian Kepka and Bill Beaton, plus Bob McCaw, who had just joined the Club but had the advantage of being a member of the Napier Yacht Club at the time.

The "McDonalds" Crew

L to R. Ian Kepka, Bob McCaw, Pete Simons, Bill Beaton

First night was spent under the lee of Rangitoto with a "city" of mast lights indicating why Auckland is called the "City of Sails". Next day it was down to Pakatoa gather the necessaries before heading for the anchorage for the night and joining a group of Pete's mates for a BBQ on the beach. All impressed with the team uniform supplied by Bill Beaton- McDonald's Supermarket tee shirts. Pete had decided to go diving to impress his mates and leapt over the side of the boat with all the panache of a true professional only to shoot to the surface like a cork out of the bottle as one of his flippers had come off. It was never found and the diving called off.

The final day was a wonderful day of cruising under full spinnaker before returning to the berth in Auckland. It was a great weekend for the rookies and another example of the fellowship enjoyed under the Rotary banner.
Return to top...
2000- Waipukarau Rotary Club Beach Walk

Reported from the Bulletin March 2000:

"Four members, lain Angus, John Walker, John Aikman and Bob McCaw, together with Jill Angus and Pauline Walker, took up the invitation on the Waipukarau Rotary Club to join their beach walk last weekend. In fact 270 people responded and made the walk from Kairatau to Poroganhau.

The first two days were along the beaches and involved rock hopping while the last day was a stroll across the Porongahau Station. All members of the party were greatly impressed by the faultless organisation of the Waipukarau Club who organised cooked meals and cut lunches, buses and other forms of transport, a greatly patronised tent bar at the end of the day, and musical entertainment.

It was a real eye-opener to see what other clubs are doing, and Waipukarau hope to make up to $18,000 for their efforts. Here's hoping they do."

Return to top...

2000-The Australian Cricketing Rotarians

Max prepares for the game

It would have to be said the Club was somewhat ambushed by this visit. These guys were very good. In fact many had played Senior cricket in Australia. We had just Max Plested as a past Senior cricketer in Hawke's Bay. And its a day Pete Sugden will never forget.


What follows is a report written by Max 15 years later!


Past President Mark Read took a call from a Christchurch Rotarian inviting us to put up a team against some Aussie cricketing Rotarians for a practise match for them, one of three they were having, on their way to Auckland to play in a tournament organised by the ‘International Fellowship of Cricket Loving Rotarians’. This tournament attracts cricketing Rotarians from various parts of the world like Australia, India, Sri Lanka, England and South Africa etc.


Astounding me, a sea of hands went up, all volunteering to play.

Now I’ve been involved in cricket all my life, and apart from the likes of Peter Sugden and Dave Nichol, these volunteers had never been seen by me gracing cricket fields in Hawkes Bay, either as players or spectators. Here were these Taradale Rotarians volunteering to play against a team of guys, serious enough about cricket, to take two or three weeks off work.

Mark takes a call

I said to Mark after the meeting that we need to think this through - these guys will be serious, they’ll be regular cricketers and  I said that you don’t take two weeks of leave from your work to tour other countries playing social “funsies”. I said, “as soon as they cross the white boundary line it won’t be social, they’ll be damned serious”.

His reply “No Maxie, it’ll be lots of fun, it’ll be great, it’ll be really social”. I said, “Well  I’ll organise the ground through Council, I’ll get you some cricket gear, I’ll organise the catering for the lunch and I’ll organise some practice sessions for you but I’m not available to play”.

“That’s fine he said, we’ve got plenty of people to play”, and certainly we did, there were 19 names taken.

So all we had to do was wait for the day.

I suggested several times that our guys should have 3-4 practises before the day, because they wouldn’t have played cricket for a while and, that amongst other things, they would need to find out who their bowlers were – I said that you need to know whether these guys, who will call themselves bowlers, can actually land the ball on the pitch, let alone perhaps in line with the wickets!

But nothing happened till the Sunday before Tuesday’s game, and the outcome of that was that all my initial fears were realised and our best bowler, Dave Nichol, pulled a calf muscle – that was the last thing we needed as there were only about 3 who looked as though they should bowl anywhere other than in the backyard or on the beach.

By that time the 19 had steadily dwindled to 11 and Reado had asked me a couple of times to play but I really wasn’t keen – I have been humiliated enough in my rugby refereeing life when I wasn’t expecting it, let alone to let myself be humiliated when I am expecting it! Like…. the guy I billeted was on his fourth tour - he’d been to India, Sri Lanka and England previously, so I think a fair analogy would be that it was like putting the All Blacks against a club rugby side.

The whole visit did turn out to be a great social occasion, apart from the cricket. Mark Reid hosted a BBQ the night before and we went to ‘The Misson’ for dinner after the match and those events were very successful, and our visitors were given great hospitality by our billeters, taking them sightseeing etc..

On match day their ritual was that both sides, prior to the toss, lined up opposite each other and had to skull a small glass of rum before we got under way - as if we needed that!

We were however quite competitive at that!

Of course, at the last minute another player withdrew and Reado put the pressure on me to play, so “Four way test” and all that, I ended up playing!

From what I recall it was a 25 - 30 over match so 5 of us had to bowl 6 overs, luckily Dave Nichol turned up with his injured calf muscle, all strapped up like a racehorse, so that gave a welcome strengthening to our bowling attack I can assure you.

They batted first and absolutely mauled our bowling, scoring 209, which at nearly 7 runs an over  was a high score in those days. Luckily the outfield hadn’t been mown since the previous Friday, otherwise the score of 209 would’ve been a lot more.

Then we had to bat, the less said about that the better, to the extent that one of our guys was, the following Thursday at Rotary, presented by the Sergeant with 4 ducks to commemorate his scoring of the same (4 ducks) in the match.

Dave Nichol takes instructions from team manager, Mark Read

Peter "Suggy" Sugden surveys the wicket and the opposition before the match.

Now, I ask you, when an Aussie gives you another chance,  you know that he knows he’s got you stuffed!

But there were a couple of good contributions – one of which would have been a match saver, I am assured, had it not been “nipped in the bud”.

Peter Sugden and I were batting, Nichol had just gone out and we were putting up a bit of resistance. Suggy played a ‘text book’ looking cover drive, as good as you see on the tele, so good, that he stood there admiring it. I knew that the long grass was going to slow it and it may not have got to the boundary, so I called “Yes” as you do when you need to run in cricket. Suggy’s reaction was to take off out of the blocks like Usain Bolt, so quick that there was this bang, and then “splat”, there he was on the ground having snapped his Achilles tendon, the injustice being that he never got a run for his beautiful shot, and had to retire hurt, 9 not out. So that was a damned good diversion, which has given us something to talk about ever since. Suggy and Nichol had opened the batting because Suggy had assured me prior to the match that he was used to “occupying the crease” and I’m I’m sure Nichol would have been too!

Bob Knappstein (right), umpire, our 'Aussie' umpire

So Suggy is off to the new Napier Hospital and we resume the humiliating exercise, being all out for 69, including Dunk’s four “lives”, so a loss by 140 runs, which in a 30 over match is some hiding! Suggys explanation for our defeat is as follows, and I quote:

“Bob Knappstein, was umpiring, but sadly because of his heritage, and being an Aussie himself, turned down many appeals from us”.

Don’t worry Bob, I know better, I think all of the appeals were out of pure excitement by the bowlers, at having got the ball to actually hit the batsman.

Suggy returns from hospital with medication

On his return from the hospital, all strapped up and on crutches and pain killers, Suggy was offered the opportunity to continue his innings, but declined. He was however fit enough to attend the after match function! Suggy tells me, but I don’t recall, that he was made “Man of the Match” mainly for his outstanding fielding and bravery in the field of fire. Mark Read’s quote, when reporting to the club, was:-“A very enjoyable experience despite the fact that the pitch and umpires were not in our favour”.

Well, the next Rotary cricket tournament is in Auckland in March 2017, so is there anyone interested in  playing in a warm up game against the Aussies?

Return to top...

The Annual Christmas Party

Each year the Club celebrates Christmas with its annual party. The report below records the function in 2004.


  • December 9th,  2004 The Festive season continues with the Club Christmas Party

A good turn out of members, wives and partners enjoyed the Club’s Annual Christmas party in the Town Hall last night. Visitors welcomed back on their annual pilgrimage to the sunny south (!) were Richard and Jenny Fullard (Rotary Club of Bournemouth North) and John Ashton (Stone). Both have made up with us regularly in the past and are most welcome again.


And the Welcome Song was sung again! Startled looks appeared across the faces of new members looking like recent Barbarian rugby players wondering what “God Save the Queen” had to do with them. Good to hear again, but perhaps we might have to publish the words again.


Return to top...

Tim Anderson get acquainted

The Childrens' Christmas Party

For many years now, the Club has entertained the children and grandchildren of members. The following report indicates the nature of this annual event.


December 2nd,  2004 The Festive season starts with the Childrens' Party

Children should better read grandchildren. 20-30 of then turned up to welcome Father Xmas to the Club's annual; children's Xmas party. After the usual fare of cheerio’s, chips, sausage rolls and ice cream, past club member Bill Read, of the "Bill and Mandy" travelling magician road show entertained with an array of tricks and games, rabbits and birds which had everyone enthralled. then Jill McTeigue gathered all the children around after the magic show and sang well known carols including Jingle Bells & Away In A Manger.


The Xmas Party wouldn’t be complete without Father Christmas who had gifts for all the children and finished with a lolly scramble that seemed to go on forever. A great night.  The children, and grand-dads too, loved it

December 13th,  2009. Xmas party goes to Rob Pattullo's farm


Editorial Comment in the Bulletin

Following on from discussion earlier in 2009 when it had been suggested that maybe the event had outrun its course, by a large majority, members voted for continuance and so this year saw a change of concept and venue. Despite this, of 87 members, only 21 were there in support and of those 21, only 9 had brought family, including grandchildren!

Hosts Robert and Helen Pattullo


An enjoyable afternoon was spent in very pleasant surroundings and we are grateful to our hosts, Helen and Robert Pattullo whose property looked a picture and has obviously been enjoying more rainfall than we urban dwellers.

There was ample shade to set up tables and chairs and enjoy the ‘antics’ of as many as three generations.


Robert Pattullo was very popular with quad

bike tours of the property

Return to top...

Bowl's Tournaments

On a number of occasions, Club members have made up teams to enter local bowls tournaments. However during the 90's Club members organised their own tournaments to raise funds for specific organisations.


  • 1991 Bowls tournament. Profits to life saving manikin 38 teams entered. $514 raised. $500 to Royal Life Saving Soc. for manikin.
  • 1993 Charity Bowls tournament raises $470 for Age Concern.
  • 1994 Another successful Bowls tournament. Proceeds made up to $500 and donated to Plunket Society.
  • 1995 Indoor bowls tournament organised; later an outdoor tournament was held.
  • 1996 Bowls Tournament  and makes $280
  • 1997 Selwyn Dyet organised a Bowls Tournament  and makes $630 which was donated to Lifeline HB.
  • 1998. Selwyn Dyet organised members. This was a great success and enjoyed by all who entered.
  • 1999 Another tournament raises $478. $200 donated to Lifeline HB.

Return to top...

Car Rally's

The Club appears to have only conducted two rallies over its history although some may not have been reported.

1972 Carbeque

The following item appears in the Bulletin 24the Feb 1972


"Carbeque" This Sunday 12 noon. A Day out for the whole family with a drive through the country with the wife as navigator, the kids in the back with a list of things to count, check points on the way to watch your progress, any friction noted between navigator and driver will incur a penalty.


At the end. of approx 1 hour run there will be races for the kids, pillow fights, lolly scrambles, a barn with hay, picnic tea or barbacue. Don't put the children in their Sunday best unless you happen to be a Drycleaner."


Participants were issued with a navigation sheet, written in the worst doggerel imaginable, but apparently drivers were not put off. The last written below

Ninth Clue:

Onward and upward your kilos go

You'll find the going windy slow.

Ne'er be tempted to turn aside

Till there's a ROAD ON THE LEFT-HAND side.

'APPILY now you're near the end.

Just four more k's there are to wend,

And then right by ahead of you

You'll find, I hope, the barbecue.

No guessing where they turned up. It looks as if Ron Ebbett of Aperley Road was hosting again.


In the following Bulletin it was reported that "fun and games was had by all, and by devious means $100 plus went into Club revenue."



2014 Car Rally

Members and friends who did the rally

Bulletin report 21st March 2014

About 8 cars, drivers and their teams, answered Ross Pinkham’s call to take part in a car rally last Sunday. By all reports it was a great success with cars having to navigate their way around the Napier-Taradale area before ending up for a pleasant get-together hosted by Ross and Viv. For the record, the event was won by Team Helena Mead. A big thanks to Ross for organising the event.

Return to top...

Team Helena discuss their win with Viv Pinkham

Return to top...